The taste of carrot cake for breakfast
This is my current favourite way to have my smoothie and eat it too. I love adding different flavours to porridge and so I combined a favourite smoothie base to oats and came up with this rather delish option. I termed the name Poragie – just to add a little bit of intrigue! You can play around with the different spices you like to add and also use different milks. The coconut does add some sweetness, if you used other milks you could try adding a drop of vanilla essence as well.
I ate this after a very cold dog walk and it was a calm breakfast moment with a tired dog and a happy owner.
The carrot cake Poragie (serves 1)
- 2ooml coconut milk (you can use any milk, almond works well too. I used the coconut milk from a carton, not the tin)
- 1 medium raw carrot, peeled
- 40g Oats
- Raisins – handful around 25g
- Mix of spices – I used a good sprinkle of cinnamon, ground ginger and crushed cardamom pods
- 50ml Water
- Yogurt and pecan nuts and maple syrup
Blend the carrot with the coconut milk in a blender. Put the oats in a pan and add the blended carrot mix, raison and spices. Bring to a boil and then put on gentle simmer. Keep an eye on it and add around 50ml of water to ensure it doesn’t stick to the pan and dry out.
Lovely served with a dollop of yogurt some broken pecan nuts and maple syrup.