The courgettes are growing like weeds on the allotment and so courgette experiments are in full swing. They work really well in cakes and particularly with chocolate! These muffins are quick and easy to make and freeze well too. They aren’t as sweet as other muffins I’ve made, so you could add a little more sugar. I like to eat them with some yoghurt, my husbands likes to add jam!
Courgette Choc Muffins
Makes 10 large muffins
- 280g Plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch salt
- 1 heaped tablespoon raw cacao powder (or 2 tbsp. of cocoa powder)
- 150g brown sugar
- 120ml sunflower oil (or rapeseed/veg or corn oil)
- 60ml Almond or coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 350g grated courgette (skin on – yellow or green courgettes – I like using yellow)
- 80g raisins (optional)
Mix the flour, baking powder, bicarb, salt, cacao, cinnamon and raisins in a bowl. In another bowl mix the oil, milk, sugar, vanilla and courgettes. Then add this to the flour mix and stir together. Fill your muffins cups and bake at 180C/350f/Gas 4 for 20 – 25 minutes.
Let them cool before tucking in – they are a little too squishy if you eat straight from the oven (however tempting).