I haven’t eaten Freekeh for a while and had forgotten how good it is for breakfast – a great source of protein to start the day. I’ve been trying to eat more oranges too – with all the winter colds around I feel the urge for lots of vitamin C.
I made this the night before because I like the chia seeds to soak up the juice and flavours – but if you wanted to eat it immediately then it will just be a little wetter in texture. You can eat this hot or cold, I do prefer it hot so I give it a quick blast in the microwave. It also tastes great with cashew cream (see the maple apples for the recipe) and with some extra orange slices.
Freekeh Orange Spice (makes two portions)
- 50g Freekeh (dry weight)
- 2 oranges – plus the zest of one of them (plus another orange each to serve if you wanted more orange!)
- 7 dates (small ones – if you used the medjool dates then use 3-4)
- 1 tablespoon brown rice syrup
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- Cook the Freekeh – (rinse well and bring to the boil, simmer for 15 – 20 mins until tender, then drain)
- Peel and chop one of the oranges, and put into a blender with the brown rice syrup and 5 dates. Blend well.
- Put the Freekeh in a bowl and add the blended mixture.
- Then add the orange zest, the other orange (peeled and cut into small cubes), 2 dates (chopped) the spices and the chia seeds.
- Either leave overnight and reheat – or eat immediately.