I love a breakfast biscuit – something chunky oaty and filling. These are easy to whip up and are perfect for a grab as you go brekkie with coffee. There is a good amount of fruit and goodness in these biccies with a carrot thrown in for extra goodness, so you can have a guilt free biscuit. These are also vegan, sugar free and dairy free.
The mixture gets quite sticky when you are rolling the biscuits – so be warned you will get sticky hands!
Oaty carrot & date brekkie biccies
- 120g oats
- 100g pitted dates
- 50g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 1 large carrot – grated
- 1 apple – grated
- 1 ripe banana – mashed
- The zest and juice of one large orange
- Line a couple of baking trays with baking paper.
- Put the oats and dates into a food processor and process for a couple of minutes. You want the dates to be well chopped. Add the flour, baking powder and spice and pulse very briefly to mix it all together.
- Add this mix to the carrot, apple, banana and orange zest and juice.
- Give it a good mix and then get your hand in to bring it together into a very sticky dough.
- Take clumps of the dough to shape into a ball and put onto the baking sheets – press them down slightly to make a thick biscuit shape. This should make around 8-10 biccies.
- Cook for 25 minutes, oven 350f/ 180c/ Gas 4. The biccies should look nicely browned on top and be slightly brown on the bottoms. Leave to cool.