We’re coming back into Rhubarb season (for forced rhubarb) and my allotment rhubarb is starting to come back to life. In anticipation I’m trying to clear my freezer of the batches I froze at the end of last season. I adore rhubarb, it’s so versatile and quick and easy to cook. Of course you can’t beat the old favourite that is rhubarb crumble, so here is my healthy breakfast version of overnight oats.
Rhubarb Crumble Overnight Oats (makes 2 portions)
- 300g stewed rhubarb
- 200ml almond milk
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 100g oats
- Yoghurt to serve
Topping (makes two portions – although it’s very moreish)
- Around 10 hazelnuts or almonds (or other nuts of choice)
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
- 2 teaspoons demerara sugar
- Blend 1/2 the stewed rhubarb with the almond milk, spices and maple syrup. Add this to 100g oats and then stir through the rest of the rhubarb. Put in the fridge overnight.
- To make the topping – crush the nuts and seeds in a pestle and mortar and stir through the sugar.
To serve – layer up with yoghurt and sprinkle the topping on top.