This bread is full of goodness and is a different way to incorporate buckwheat into your diet. The inspiration for this loaf came from a Buckwheat, banana and brazil nut bread recipe by Hanna Sillitoe from her book ‘Radiant’. I hadn’t thought of using buckwheat in this way before and I was intrigued. My intention was to bake her recipe but I didn’t have any bananas or brazil nuts in the house so I decided to experiment and one thing I do have ALOT of at the moment is rhubarb. The result is this mix of Buckwheat, Rhubarb, nuts and seeds.
BuckaRoo Brekkie Loaf
- 150g Buckwheat groats
- 1 tablespoon rapeseed oil (or coconut or olive oil)
- Pinch Salt
- 100g pitted dates – chopped
- 150g mix of nuts and seeds (I used almonds, hazelnuts, pumpkin and sunflower seeds)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- 180g Rhubarb
- 1 tablespoon coconut palm sugar
- 100g oats
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Line a 450g loaf tin with baking paper.
- Wash the buckwheat and put into a pan with enough water to cover, a pinch of salt and 1 tablespoon of rapeseed oil. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 15 minutes. Check the water – I needed to add a bit more during cooking to stop it sticking. Drain off any excess water and leave to cool.
- Cut the rhubarb into thin sticks (1cm thick and approx. 7cm long – check they fit into your loaf tin width ways) and toss with the coconut palm sugar.
- In a food processor blitz the dates, nuts and seeds, chia and flax seeds, oats and cinnamon until well combined. Add the buckwheat and maple syrup and blend until combined. The dough will be dry and coarse but will squish together.
- Line the bottom of the tin with half the sticks of rhubarb, then add half the bread mixture. Lay the other half of the rhubarb sticks on top. Finally add the rest of the bread mixture and firm down.
- Bake 180c/350f/Gas 4 for 40 minutes.
- Leave to cool slightly in the tin before removing and letting it cool completely.
Delicious with almond butter and banana. Also nice with a dollop of yoghurt on top.