I came across this recipe from Honestly Healthy and had never thought about adding avocado to oats. I made this last night and really enjoyed it this morning. The avocado adds a lovely smooth texture to the oats. The original recipe uses pomegranate seeds at the end before serving – I didn’t have any so substituted some dried cranberries and goji seeds instead. Definitely a great way to have avocado for breakfast.
See the original recipe here
Avocado Bircher (serves two generous portions)
- 150g oats
- 1 avocado
- juice of half a lemon
- 350ml almond milk (or other milk)
- 1 apple grated
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Any seeds or fruit – pomegranate, dried cranberries, goji berries – something with a slightly sharp taste is a nice complement to the dish
- Chop the avocado into smallish chunks – squeeze the lemon juice over the top.
- Put the oats in a bowl and add the milk, cinnamon, sesame seeds, apple and avocado.
- Mix and leave to soak overnight.
- Top with your choice of seeds and fruit.