Fresh, summery with a bit of zing – the perfect spring into summer overnight oats. I love mixing mango with ginger and coconut – the GMC combo, one of the perfect combos for summer. Try and save some mango for the decoration – just because it makes the whole dish look pretty and vibrant. A great breakfast to refuel after a morning run or walkies (my dog loves coconut flakes, so some of my extra flakes ‘accidently’ fall on the floor during preparation.)
GMC Overnight Oats
- 150ml coconut milk
- 40g porridge oats
- 1/2 mango diced (plus a bit extra sliced to serve)
- 1 tablespoon coconut flakes
- 2 tablespoons desiccated coconut
- A generous grating of ginger (a good 1cm piece or more if you’re a ginger fan)
Mix it all together and put in the fridge. Lovely with some sliced mango and an extra sprinkle of coconut on top
I call this magic because it’s a great re-fuel smoothie incorporating lots of vitamin C and a small hit of carbs. It makes a lovely thick smoothie and is perfect when you want something filling but without the use of milk. I’ve had a very high carb diet over the past few days due to a marathon yesterday and today I feel the need to de-carb without starving my rather achy body. This smoothie ensures I get a good start with some natural goodness to help the immune system.
Magic Mango Smoothie
- 1/2 fresh mango (approx. 100g)
- 1/2 a banana – or one small one
- 3 dates (if you use medjool then just use one or two)
- 200ml fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons oats
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cube fresh ginger (about 1-2cm)
Blend it all together.
This one is for lovers of orange fruits. It’s vibrant and refreshing, definitely a sunny breakfast. It’s quick and easy with a little bit of prep and overnight soaking, then you’re ready to go. I added the cacao nibs at the last minute as I fancied a touch of bitter crunch against the citrus sweetness, but actually it’s good without anything added. I prefer my mix at room temperature, so I took the glow mix out of the fridge before I headed off to walk the dog.
Orange Glow in a glass (serves one)
- Juice and grated zest of one orange
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 1 tbsp goji berries
- 3 dried apricots – diced
- 15g dried mango – diced
- Handful of blueberries (around 50g)
Put all of the above in a bowl, mix it up, cover and leave overnight in the fridge. All the juice will be absorbed by the seeds and dried fruit.
- Natural Greek Yoghurt (I just dollop what I fancy, but it’s probably around 100-150ml
- Raw cacao nibs to sprinkle on top if desired)
In the morning layer up the orange glow mix with the yoghurt and sprinkle the nibs on top.
A lovely bright sunny morning today so coming back from walkies to this glowing glass was quite uplifting.